Engineering equipment or plants which are under maintenance or broken down are undertaken by Maintenance Engineers.
The industrial machinery and equipment run smoothly and reliably to make sure about the Maintenance engineers.
Their work profile consists of:
- Repairing equipment
- Planning and undertaking maintenance which are scheduled
- Breakdowns are responded
- Faults are diagnosed
- Equipment repairing
- Technical and engineering staffs are monitored
- Fixtures, fitting, components are acquired in the best quality
- Managing budgets
- Maintaining financial and statistical records
- Safety and heavy legislation comply
- Maintenance procedures are created
- Stocks of supplies and equipment are managed
There is no fixed job timing and it is completely based on shift and on-call, especially where manufacturing equipment is done throughout the day. There is a vertical boost in the career where maintenance engineers have lots of opportunities to shift into managerial positions or relevant areas.
There are lots of job oriented courses after mechanical engineering to make a successful career in this field.
Typical employers of maintenance engineers
- Government agencies
- Utility companies
- Local authorities
- Construction, manufacturing, and process companies (for instance food and drink manufacturers)
- Contract based Self-employment work, and occasionally consultancy, is possible for individuals with several years’ experience.
- The armed forces
- Research facilities
Qualifications and training required
Most of the school and university leavers can take up the graduation course especially in disciplines like manufacturing, mechanical, electrical or electronic engineering. There are lots of lists of engineering employers who give summer internships and industrial placements. People who have completed schooling can higher national diploma
(HND) or advanced or higher apprenticeship in an appropriate subject like mechanical engineering or manufacturing engineering. You can inquire about the best training institutes or seek career guidance from the mentors.
By acquiring a chartered Ceng status with the Engineering Council can assist to demonstrate commitment and professionalism to your field. It is significant to acquire an accredited bachelors degree in engineering or technology to become chartered along with an appropriate masters degree (Meng) or doctorate (EngD) from a professional engineering institution like the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
You will also be apt for integrated MSc course.
- Key skills for maintenance engineers
- Efficiency and organization
- Teamworking skills
- An ability to perform well under pressure
- Problem-solving skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Relevant technical knowledge
Join the top mechanical courses in Pune and make a successful career in this field.